Friday, March 24, 2006

Back to the Earth

I have a CT scan today at noon. My voice has not returned yet.

The big bowl was totally dry by the time I tried to trim it yesterday. I kept wetting it down, and trimming it while it was upright on the bat, and I had to leave the splash pans off of the wheel. It was slow, messy going, with mud and water going just about everywhere, and none of my tools being quite right for what I was trying to do.

I ended up knocking the piece off center as I trimmed, and then my elbow caught the rim as it came around. I broke off a piece of the rim about two by five inches.

The remains of the bowl have been moved into an empty clay bag, with all of the trimmings and mud. It took about forty minutes for me to clean all the residual mud off the wheel and floor of the studio, with buckets of water and a sponge.

Julie did a bisque firing last night. I have one bowl in it, a half bag that I threw of the 306. When she was loading the kiln, one of the support chains for the lid snapped, and a screw holding the second chain ripped out. The lid hit the firebox for the raku kiln, which is on top of the raku kiln right now. Nothing further was damaged. I went to Home Despot, and bought some replacement swag chain and screws, and fixed the chains. The new chains are heavier, and hopefully will last another twenty years.

When I feel better, I will start throwing again. We need to pick up a load of cinderblocks for pad for the raku kiln this weekend, so maybe I can work on that.


Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

CT Scans are all right. My CT guys are the worst at finding a vein (assuming you get contrast which I always did.)

But the news about the bowl is heartbreaking. I just think of you, sitting there with nearly no energy from being sick, trying to do the bowl...

I know there will be more, but it had to be like that moment when the turkey slides off the platter and onto the floor in front of the guests.

7:51 PM  
Blogger SquidgePa said...

There are times in the studio where you just need to throw in the towel. twelve years ago, I would have tossed the piece, but I was getting lots of encouragement to try to save it, so I gave it a try. About a half hour into things, I had totally convinced myself that I could pull it off. It was messy, slow going work (chocolate colored mud was just about everywhere by then).

Then the rim cracked.

I hate to fail on that scale, but, the clay can be recycled, the piece will live again.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

So what was the result of the CT Scan?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home