Friday, November 30, 2012
Sunday, June 24, 2012
one half cup sweetened chile sauce
one third cups soy sauce
two tablespoons cup honey
two teaspoons finely minced serranos
one half teaspoon red pepper flakes
one half teaspoon minced garlic
one half teaspoon cajun spices
Saute peppers and garlic in a little oil.
Lower heat. Stir in honey, soy, and chili sauce.
Remove from heat and mix in spices.
Wednesday, May 04, 2011
For the slab roller, I cut and trimmed four pieces of square stock for the cable brackets. The cable brackets are in the four corners of the table, with two steel pipes above and below the table that are the rollers that are supported by the cables. As you turn a wooden wheel attached to the lower steel roller, it moves along the cables, and pulls the upper roller along. I need to hit the home improvement store for the metal crimps that I need to re-bind the ends of the cable together once I install the new brackets.
Sunday, May 01, 2011
Two Weeks Off
I plan to take two weeks off to work on projects around the property, including getting a studio going in the ground floor of the barn. The barn studio is supposed to be temporary, until we can get the old three car garage converted into the new studio. That will probably include putting on a new roof. That is a project for another time.
I'm looking for a plastic barrel to use as a water reservoir for the sink in the studio, since we don't have water out to the barn yet, and the barn is not heated in winter. I want to use a raised barrel for the water supply, something that I can fill from a hose, and then plumb it to a double sink. The water will drain through a flexible hose outside the back door. Its a temporary solution. I can re-use the barrel later as a rain barrel for the garden.
The other project that I am working on today is the rebuilding our slab roller. I had built it back in New Jersey to help Julie with the pottery classes that she taught at a summer camp. There are four pieces of angle iron, one on each corner of the slab roller where the cables attach that have bent over the years. I am replacing them with square stock steel. I also need to raise the height of the table by about four inches, and add some corner braces to strengthen the structure.
Labels: layoff studio slab roller
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Yesterday, Julie and I went to a fabric store, and picked up some heavy pillow ticking to glue along the inside seams of the roof for the hive. I also did some final trimming of the board that closes the base of the hive in winter, as well as the top of the hive legs so that the roof would sit a few inches lower. Everything that is exposed to the elements needs to have the linseed oil and beeswax finish applied.
Labels: top bar hive
Sunday, March 07, 2010
Its essentially a long trough with a lid. There are two boards called follower boards, that conform to the shape of the inside of the hive, and can be moved by the beekeeper to adjust the amount of space that the bees get to use. There are narrow wooden bars, with a groove in the bottom filled with beeswax, that span the trough, and are where the bees will build their comb.
In winter, the unused portion of the hive outside of the follower boards will be filled with some natural insulation, to reduce heat loss from the hive.
Yesterday, I cut boards for the sides and end of the hive, along with rough cutting a section for the follower boards. Since I'm using six inch boards, I started gluing them edge to edge last night, doing the section for the follower boards and the ends. Today I'm gluing the long boards for the sides of the hive, and am heading out to the barn to cut the follower boards to shape. When the follower boards are complete (they need a top bar glued to them), I'll use them as the base to form the rest of the hive.
Saturday, March 06, 2010
Building a Top Bar Hive
I'm starting to build a top bar beehive today. I've wanted to get into bee keeping for a number of years, but have never had the space until now. Julie has bought me a number of books over the years. Top bar hives are easy to build on a budget. Extracting the honey from comb is a little trickier, since the comb is not as uniform as that from a Langsthroth stacked hive, but I can build a honey press.
I bought some red cedar lumber yesterday, and will spend this morning cutting boards to length, and then gluing them together. The plans call for twelve inch wide wood, but recommends buying narrow lumber, and then gluing the boards edge to edge.
A twelve inch by one inch board measures eleven inches by three quarters of an inch. It may have measured twelve by one at some point in the milling process, or maybe fifty years ago it would have measured that at some point in the milling process, but what I have available is eleven by three quarters. Buying two six by ones and gluing them together doesn't get you much farther, because a six by one measures five and a half by three quarters. Two together give eleven inches, and gluing a third board on to get the extra inch seems excessive when I am on a budget.
My plan today is to tweek the design of the top bar hive a bit, so that my eleven inch lumber will work on the sides of the hive (effectively reducing the cross section of the hive to ninety-two percent of the original design). The finished hive will be forty-eight inches long.