Monday, April 03, 2006

Placed Order with Ward Burner

I called Ward Burners at lunch today, and ordered the raku burners and assundry equipment.

The customer service guy was very helpful, and after I gave the dimensions of my kiln, and told him what I wanted, he asked me some details about how we want to use the kiln, and then sold me a burner system (an MR750 instead of the MR100) that puts out less BTUs, but will meet our raku needs. The MR100 would let us fire the kiln in fifteen minutes (images of dragons and rockets exploding due to thermal shock), but the MR750 will allow us to do the first firing in thirty minutes to half an hour, and then the subsequent firings will be in twenty to thirty minutes. The best thing, though, is that we should be able to use a standard, twenty pound, propane tank to get three or four firings in a day, (I was starting to think that I needed either two one hundred pound tanks (coupled), or a two hundred and fifty pound tank, which would require a fireproof safety wall between the tank and my house, and a minimum distance of ten feet from both house and kiln.)

I also ordered a set of fireproof leather gloves, wool lined with a metal foil layer for Julie to use, and two pairs of tongs for reaching into the kiln

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

How's the voice?

1:06 PM  
Blogger SquidgePa said...

I'm sort of at the Barry White/Rod Stewart stage. Julie likes it, but I could do more with my old voice.

When talking with the ENT, he discussed the possibility of voice therapy after everything is said and done (like, surgically removed, I suppose). I would rather just go back to normal.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home