Saturday, June 02, 2007

Magarita Recipe

One of the few mixed drinks that I like is a margarita. I have a food allergy to most of the margarita mixes, so I tend to only order the ones made from scratch.

We were vacationing in Florida a few years ago, and I had a really good margarita at a restaurant called Shells. I got a chance to talk with the bartender, and even though it was against the rules, she gave me the recipe:

Margarita
1 1/2 units gold tequila
3/4 unit Cointreau
3/4 unit Triple Sec
1 unit fresh lime juice
1 unit bar syrup

A 'unit' depends on how much you are mixing. A single drink would have units comprised of ounces, a half pitcher would have units in cups.

We usually don't have bar syrup around the house, but we have Rose's Sweet Lime Juice, so I throw in two units of that instead of the lime juice and bar syrup.

Cointreau is a kind of Triple Sec, so you could combine the two, or use Grand Marnier, which is a little sweeter than Cointreau.

If the batch is small enough, I'll throw it into a shaker with ice, then strain it into a glass. Salting the rim is optional, and is done by taking an empty glass, rubbing a wedge of lime around the rim, then dipping the rim in salt.

1 Comments:

Blogger sugarsandsalts said...

Thanks for this great tip of recipe,I dont have bar syrup either,I use lime mix with pure honey instead,still good.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home