Monday, February 20, 2006

A Very Busy Weekend

Julie and I spent most Saturday in the studio.

She has been thowing with porcelain. She is working with two kinds, and is enjoying both of them. I never had much luck with it myself; I always felt like it was throwing with cream cheese. She has the knack for it though.

Julie is so good at hand building with clay that I forget how little instruction she has had on the wheel (one or two classes, when we lived in Phoenix). She asked me how to throw lids, and I drew a few pictures of the kind of lid where the lid is like an small bowl with a raised rim, and it is the rim which, when inverted, inserts into the base piece. She then threw several lidded pieces, including a little bottle.

Her throwing has improved dramatically in the last couple of weeks, where she can throw tall, well formed pieces (but with porcelain, which, like I said, I have a hard time throwing with. ) She is playing with different forms and shapes. Some she is then adding dragons to.

Julie threw two little rockets last week. The first was her own design, with three cute little engine bells. The second was from one of Stephanie's sketches, and is painted like a soccer ball. This is in addition to all of the other porcelain pieces, and her dragons.

I finished off a couple of mugs, and then three rockets of my own. The first was a recreation of the rocket that exploded when bisque firing. On the second, when I was making the fins , Julie asked whether I was going to create hollow passages through the wings. We ended up collaborating on the wings of the piece, and it really turned out really cool. Every once in a while, I create a piece that really inspires me, and this rocket (with Julie's help) is one of them. The third rocket is the long promised one that Stephanie designed back in November, and I finally had a chance to throw another one (the previous one drying out in the damp box).

At the end of the day, I worked at a carved design on a Cassius vase that I had thrown a while back. It is an interesting piece, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like when high fired.

On Sunday, I smoothed the surface of the vase with a sponge, which improved its look.

Later in the day, we went and saw the movie "8 Below", which is about sled dogs stranded in Antartica for the winter. Although the people in the movie talk about a nearby colony of penguins, the movie never shows the dogs finding them. I think that there is an opportunity here to edit scenes from this movie with scenes from "March of the Penguins".

I will post pictures of the new rockets when I get the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home